Sunday, October 4, 2015

Dolls

Oh dear, September disappeared without a posting.  And this will be the only one for October as I have heading back to my old home town for a wedding and a school reunion.
Several months ago I entered an Ugly Challenge where we had to construct something from ugly fabric.  Zombies or The Living Dead fabric, while a pretty colour, left me uninspired for many days. 
I 'researched' Zombies and The Living Dead as in all honesty I have never been interested in such a topic.  In the end I decided on a doll, and having fabric left over and thinking how dull the doll looked I added a little quilt.  I am not sure that The Living Dead need a quilt!

 
The daughter of an old neighbour and still a friend was diagnosed with cancer.  What could I do?  There is little other than offering empathy and hope in such circumstances, but a little niggle prompted me to make a guardian angel.  The colour purple is a favourite of this patient so the doll had to have purple hair, and wear shades of purple.  The doll has been received and named ... Violet.  May she keep her 'mother' in good humour as she undergoes treatment after the extensive surgery already undergone.

6 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Shirley, I know nothing about the living dead or zombies. I love the fact that you made such a cute guardian angel for your friend. How she must have appreciated that gesture.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley,both dolls are fabulous and i am sorry about your friends daughter,hope all goes well for her xx

Karen's Korner said...

I think that you have captured "ugly" very well in your doll. Best wishes to your friend's daughter during her treatment. I am sure Violet will keep her safe and secure.

Yael said...

Merry Christmas Shirley to you and your family.

Liz said...

Happy New Year. . Hope all's well .

krishna said...

sad to hear about the cancer... your guardian angel is so beautiful..

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com