With the arrival of a new baby girl into the extended family I had a reason. It wasn't difficult sorting fabric as I had kept a container of 'off-cuts', for just such a project. In the cupboard there was a largish piece of pink that I used to form the structure of the cot quilt; other fabrics were a random selection, though I did keep in mind that this was for a youngster.
Some patterns suggested sewing the pieces onto paper, others muslin. I opted for muslin, which I think gives a stronger and more secure frame work. It was simply a case of placing the chosen pink in the centre, and picking up whatever colour was nearest, though I will admit to trying to not make it too garish.
I have no suitable fabric for backing; the next step is a couple of weeks away.